Webber International University History
On April 6, 1927, Grace Knight and Roger W. Babson founded the University which carries the name of their granddaughter, Camilla Grace Webber. Roger was best known for his contributions in the areas of economics and finance, which included the establishment of Babson’s Reports and authorship of a number of business publications and books. His philanthropic contributions included the formation of several institutions of higher learning and service on a number of corporate boards, as well as the endowment of several charitable foundations.
Webber was founded as a women’s college, with the exclusive purpose of teaching women about business. It was the first school chartered under the educational and charitable laws of the State of Florida as a non-profit organization. Originally the Babson Park campus was only used for the Spring term, while fall classes were taught in Boston. In 1940, Babson Park became the University’s permanent campus and our student body became co-ed in 1971.
Webber will continue to propagate the ideals envisioned by its founders. Built upon a solid legacy of experience and knowledge, Webber will prepare tomorrow’s business leaders to meet the challenges of the future by instilling a desire for innovative thought and creative accomplishment.
St. Andrews University History
In September 1961, the first students stepped onto the grounds of a spacious, lake-centered campus that only a short time earlier had been named St. Andrews Presbyterian College. Long before the arrival of those first students, Presbyterians across North Carolina, laity and clergy, had committed themselves to this new adventure in higher education.
The history of St. Andrews began in 1896 with the founding of Flora Macdonald College in Red Springs, NC. In 1958, Flora Macdonald College merged with Presbyterian Junior College in Maxton, NC, to establish St. Andrews. In 1996, St. Andrews celebrated the Centennial Anniversary of its heritage by hosting a series of events and celebrations. In honor of the occasion, 800 plus alumni, faculty, students, staff and friends, gathered for this birthday party to recognize the shared history of the three institutions.
The history of St. Andrews offers a consistent record of academic innovation, recognitions and accomplishments far out of proportion to the college’s small size and limited human and financial resources. It has repeatedly demonstrated an ability to recognize needs which were not being met by the prevalent higher education cannon of pedagogical strategies, texts, programs or assumptions. It has also combined its visionary thinking with successful academic planning to translate insights into concrete, efficacious higher education innovation.